Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Day Eight Hundred Twenty One

Let me give you the timeline of my day yesterday.

3:30am - wake up for midnight bathroom run, notice odd unpleasant smell in apartment. Decide it must be because I turned my heater on for the first time in a few months so I turn it off, turn the air purifier in my room on high and go back to sleep.

4:45am - wake up for second bathroom run (don't judge me), notice that smell is exponentially worse and is emanating from pipes and wall vents. Rearrange standing air purifier and fans to maximize fresh air intake from open windows. Lay frantically under my bed with my comforter over my face and attempt to avoid the situation until it goes away.

6:00am - smell is now suffocating and pounding headache is present. Call mom for moral support, who advises me to call emergency maintenance since they can actually help remedy the situation.

6:15am - talk to slightly cranky emergency maintenance man and convince him that he in fact does need to come to the apartment now because I can't breathe. Call mom again for more moral support until maintenance arrives.

7:00am - maintenance finally gets here and tells me he doesn't know what the smell is from and that I should probably find another place to go to.

7:30am - arrive at the Avants house, who once again play the role of saving grace and let me sleep on their couch.

11:30am - wake up, go to lunch with the wonderful wonderful Avant family, attempt to avoid returning to my apartment of death.

1:30pm - get back to apartment to find it mostly aired out, until I open the cabinet doors under my sink and the horrific odor returns with a vengeance. Again rearrange fans.

2:00pm - sit and wait in the leasing office to relay the story about the ungodly smell and wait for the maintenance guy from earlier to tell me what was going on to fix it (the answer at that time was nothing, so Louise and I put on our best stern faces until said maintenance man agreed to come within the next half hour to figure things out.

3:00pm - maintenance man arrives at apartment, seals all pipes under sink, and goes on quest to find source. Fans once again rearranged.

3:30pm - mystery solved. College guys in a close by 1st floor apartment decided to cook noodles in the middle of the night, then proceeded to pass out and let the noodles burn for hours. Good job guys. You all fail at life.

The take home messages of my day yesterday - college guys make bad (and potentially dangerous) decisions, noodles smell rancid when burnt for long periods of time, and the Avants are once again my favorite people to ever exist. That being said, I'm still exhausted from the entire ordeal one full day later. And the fans are still being rearranged.

No comments:

Post a Comment