Sunday, August 2, 2015

Day Seven Hundred Thirty

Well, I've made it two full years in Austin. Happy anniversary, Texas! It continues to be an adventure (in every sense of the word) living here. This means it's time for me to go buy myself new pillows for my bed! Last year I decided that would be my anniversary gift to myself, and I still think it's a splendid idea. Watch out, Costco - I'm coming for you this week!

A few big things have happened this year, but probably the most monumental was getting accepted in to doctoral candidacy (which just happened this past month). Because getting accepted in to doctoral candidacy means I passed the written and oral qualifying exams, both of which made this past year extremely stressful, and also finished up the last of my graduate coursework. It's a big deal in the grad student world, and I'm still over the moon that I've gotten it all taken care of.

I celebrated my two year Austin anniversary today by sleeping in (of course) and then going to watch a Round Rock Express game with a friend. We sat in rocking chairs in the ball park, because the Round Rock ballpark is amazing and has a little section that is one row of fancy wooden rocking chairs that are the comfiest things ever. The Express came back from an 8-2 deficit in the 6th to win 9-8, so it was a super fun game to watch.



On a separate note, this past Friday evening I went to see my old roommate Kelly get married, and it was a beautiful wedding full of wonderful people. Kelly, you looked gorgeous, and I'll miss you once you move to North Carolina! Enjoy your next great adventure.  :)


Blog Prompt - A book you love and recommend

Well. It's very hard for me to choose just one. So...I'll choose three instead. And even that is limiting it.

1. The Martian by Andy Weir - I just recently read this one, and it's one of the best books I've read in a long time. An astronaut with a great sense of humor gets stranded on Mars and has to find a way to survive. The movie adaptation comes out in November (with Matt Damon! Yeah!), so I strongly recommend you read this before seeing it.

2. The Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs - A humor book written by a man who decides to live an entire year strictly adhering to the rules set out by the bible. It's a hilarious read, but is respectfully written with regards to the Christian faith as a whole. Both religious and non-religious alike would love this book.

3. Operation Mincemeat by Ben Macintyre - I don't want to spoil too much about what this book is about, so I'll just quote what the cover of the book says. It's a non-fiction book about "how a dead man and a bizarre plan fooled the Nazis and assured an Allied victory." How does anyone not want to read about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment