Sunday, July 6, 2014

Day Three Hundred Thirty Six

I had a pretty great weekend. One of my closest friends from undergrad flew in for the weekend, and it was the best. Nate, you're wonderful, I've missed you, thanks for tolerating the misery that is summer in Austin to come and see me.

To kick off his visit we went to a 4th of July party at the Czimskey house. We ate copious amounts of BBQ that was deliciously made by Justin (bravo, Justin...bravo), had some cake and s'mores courtesy of Natalie, and played some Cards Against Humanity. I'd never played Cards Against Humanity before, and it was...an experience. We didn't see many fireworks, which wasn't a huge surprise. Living in a place in extreme drought isn't exactly conducive to lighting fuses and setting off giant things that explode into an array of colorful sparks. So to make up for it, we watched some Sherlock on Netflix. It eventually dawned on me that a BBC show maybe wasn't the most patriotic thing to watch on the 4th of July, but Sherlock is just so good. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Saturday we went to Alamo Drafthouse to see How To Train Your Dragon 2, because obviously that's what two people in their mid-20s choose to see at a movie theater. It was a fantastic movie, surprisingly just as good as the first one. I still take issue with the name of the main character though. Even vikings weren't stupid enough to name their child "Hiccup." Don't insult them. Then we got snow cones (obviously) and later that evening took a riverboat cruise to see the bats come out from under Congress bridge. I have wanted to see these bats since I moved here, and it surpassed my expectations. It's so surreal seeing 750,000 bats come out from under a bridge, and so eerie listening to their chirping as you approach and cross under the bridge.

Today was the obligatory visit to UT. Because I have to show off my grad school campus to everyone. It's an impressive place.

Now back to work and real life. What a downer. But first - bat trip photos!









No comments:

Post a Comment