Sunday, August 18, 2013

Day Seventeen

I start orientation in two days. I am so excited. I'm sitting here at my desk re-reading the acceptance letter from UT I received about 7 months ago, and I'm still in awe that I was given the opportunity to study at a doctoral level at such an amazing school. Sometimes, it doesn't even feel real. On the first day of orientation I'll both sign up for classes and learn what my teaching assignment is (which will likely be an analytical or freshman chemistry lab). Yes, in four months I will have gone from being an undergrad to teaching them. That won't be weird at all.

Today was a fairly lazy Sunday, which is good considering those days will be few and far between once school starts up. The day basically went like this: church - lunch - read - Home Depot - dinner - Criminal Minds - Avant's house. Home Depot was full of paint samples (for the bathroom and kitchen) and slabs of wood (for the closet in the study). Did you know that the area in Home Depot where they cut wood for you is unbearably loud? I never notice it when I'm in other parts of the store, which is shocking considering how ear-splitting it is. The cute guy cutting the wood helped matters a little though, I will admit that. He would have gained even more points if he had provided us all with ear plugs.

I somehow lucked out and ended up living with two other girls who love the same creepy shows I do. Criminal Minds and Dexter marathons, here we come (actually, they've already started). And now that we have Dish cable, the possibilities are endless. Especially once we learn how to actually use all the buttons on the remote, since there are about 8,000 of them. In the middle of one of the episodes of Criminal Minds I got a call from my mom, who invited me over to the Avant's house to hang out. I was thinking this would involve card games or some other kind of entertainment. No, they were all painting. And somehow I ended up crawling under the piano to reach a corner of the wall that no one else wanted to maneuver to. Needless to say, this was not how I saw my night going, but I enjoyed the company. At one point, both my mom and I were painting different sections of the wall while all 3 Avant family members were sitting on the couch watching. They totally pulled a Tom Sawyer on us. I hope you were all just impressed by my Mark Twain reference. I'm pretty proud of it.

Tomorrow I hang out with both pest control and the internet company. What better way to spend the final day of summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment