Friday, August 23, 2013

Day Twenty Two

Disclaimer - if parts of this post don't seem entirely coherent, it's because it is late and I am tired. 

Another day, another trip to UT. But, this time my dad came along, which was awesome. I still think it's so amazing that I'll be taking classes in the exact same building he took classes in when he was an undergrad getting his biochem degree. We walked around Welch Hall and learned that the seminar room that I've been sitting in for most of my orientation is the same as when he was in school, and it instantly took him back to his organic chemistry days. I was able to show him the analytical lab that I'll be teaching in as well as where my desk is located this semester. Then we wandered over to some of the newer science buildings before making the quintessential visit to the Co-Op. Per usual, we were unable to leave the Co-Op without buying something. I got a new hat and a lanyard for all of my UT-related keys, dad got a new hat, lanyard, and fancy Nike polo. And I grabbed 'Longhorn Mom' and 'Longhorn Dad' car decals, because those are required for proud UT parents.

When we got back to the house, we all got to work on various projects. We finished painting the bathroom (thanks dad!) and were able to start and finish painting the kitchen (thanks mom!). My mom worked her paint-edging magic while I wielded the roller, and we were able to finish the entire kitchen in record time (except behind the fridge, because it just makes no sense to move an appliance and paint a section of wall that will never be see - you all know I'm right). The new colors both look fantastic, thank goodness. Then my dad got to work moving a love seat out of Kelly's room with her dad, who is coincidentally also named Gary (except my dad has two r's in his name - don't worry dad, I made sure to clarify this for you). It was pretty funny listening to them strategize how to get the 33" wide love seat through the 29" door frame.

"That's a great idea Garry"
"Well, thank you Gary"

I had a pretty good time listening. Somehow, the Garry/Gary team worked some kind of magic and the love seat made it out of the room. I'm still not entirely sure how they got it out in one piece, especially since there was a point where just cutting the love seat in half was seriously considered. One of the mysteries of life. Now, Kelly's room is way more spacious and the home to a super comfy new chair from Costco, the store where dreams come true (in bulk).

The Seahawks won tonight! It's a preseason game, but I don't care because I got to see Russell Wilson play on the gigantic TV at the Avant household. I can't wait to start watching them in the regular season and watch all the Real Rob Report updates on YouTube. For any football fans who have never heard of this, you have to look it up. I promise you won't regret it.

I would give you a sneak peek at what I'm doing tomorrow, but I'm so tired I can't even remember what that may be. Walking around campus in 90 degree heat and painting a room has proven to be exhausting when combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment